Monday, February 05, 2007

Censorship

So in the "Censorship and its Progeny" packet we just read it talked about a controversial art show in Anchorage Alaska. It focused on Dread Scott's piece "What is the Proper Way to Display a U.S. Flag?". In this piece there is a U.S. flag lying on the floor and a comment book on the shelf above it. But to leave a comment as to What is the proper way to display a U.S. flag? a person must step on the flag. My question to you is would you walk on the flag, and what comment would you write in the comment book? I know what I would write.
I would say: To me the flag symbolizes the United States (that part is obvious). But to me it is the 50 stars in the corner of blue that truly represent the concept. By having the stars close like that it represents the closeness of the United States. However, because of this I have preminitions about having the flag high on a mast. Although I understand that this is displaying the symbol of America proudly for everyone to see, to me it makes the united states seem unattainable. Like it is something we strive for but never quite reach. As if it is in our dreams, but can never quite come true. One example for this view is the division between red and blue states. It is always a contest to see how many red and blue. Thus we are never fully united. By putting the flag on the ground it brings the dream of being fully united much closer to me, and everyone. For that reason as I write this comment I am standing right on the stars so that I can feel connected to everyone in every state through the stars.
So although this is a really long entry I would love to hear what everyone else would do and say.

2 comments:

pichachoo said...

I think that what you would put in that journal really reflects on your personality, and moral standings. Also, it probably would have to do with your experience. Like it said in the article, if you were a veteran, you may be offended by the piece of art, and attempt to steal the flag. We all have our own different opinions due to our background and experience. I think what you had to say was very appropriate, and really strikes clear with our American culture.

laughingcorpse said...

The truth is always hidden. Knowledge should be kept to oneself.
TO reveal Truth to other is to decay oneself