Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pay it Forward

So, I read the book Pay it Forward and just completely lost it at the end. But then I had me thinking that, can something like his project actually work? Because it would seem like it would work for the first few couple of people, then it would just die down. Which would be a shame, because if it actually did work, then I think that the world would be a better place. So, what do you think? If someone in today's society were to start a project described in Pay it Forward

2 comments:

JuliaC. said...

Well, I think that it would depend on how motivated people got about it. If you look at causes like the civil rights movement or the anti-war movement in the sixties, those were popular causes and were more effective because people got emotionally involved and felt a sense of urgency to do something. If people were emotionally invested then it could take off. And since the theory of pay it forward is that you help because someone has helped you, then I think people would feel more obligated to pass it on.

katrina337 said...

I agree with Julia.
I think it also depends on the group of people you start the project with. If you start it with more influential people, more people will do it. Maybe you couldn't get absolutely everyone to do it, but I'm sure you could get at least a great number of people involved.
*shrug*