Monday, December 11, 2006

Piss Christ

Ok, so the title is already controversial. Anyway, last year in my art class, Mrs. Lynam showed me this work called Piss Christ. Basically what it was was this guy, Andres Serrano, put a little crusifix in a jar, and filled it with his own urine... and some of his own blood. Then he took pictures and published it as art. Now I'm sure it had some artistic merit... mostly it was just controversial. But I have some questions for y'all. What is the difference between art and... well, self torture? Where do we draw the line with art? What can fly and what can't?
The main question I want to ask is... what counts as art?

1 comment:

pichachoo said...

we've done the art debate a couple of times in our career at Poudre, and I think the conclusion I always choose to come to is that art for one person may not be art for another. It really depends on what you think art is. If you feel some emotion from what you are seeing, and it was created by someone, I believe it is art. Therefore, art is different for each individual.